Doublegolds contest run DB

Public logs of epic successes and hilarious failures

Doublegolds contest run DB

Postby DoubleGold » Sun May 27, 2012 6:01 pm

http://alliancefromhell.com/cgi-bin/hob ... w_LKqgDi4=
For those of you who care to see all my permed skills

I took astral booze and that moxie sign that unlocks inside degrassi.
Familiars used: Crimbo Pressie and Stomping Boots, switching between the two when necessary.

Day 1
1-6: Doing the guild quest in the sleazy back alley
7-13: Obtained Mosquito, and ran smooth movements
14-23: Rat Quest
25-26: Clovers for sonars
27-33: Defeated Boss Bat
34-42: Daily Dungeon
43-53: Knob Goblin Encryption Key. 54: Got perfume by luck
55: Used a pumpkin bomb pulled and made from my patch onto a Harem Girl
56: Defeated knob Goblin King
57-90: Completed Level 6 Quest
91-130: Got Liver of Steel. I used Stomping Boot for this quest and I stomped 4 times, 3 of my stomps took place during my level 6 quest between 57 and 90.
131-148: Spooky Forest for temple map and stolen accordian to run oode to booze. Ran smooth movements.
149-194: Completed crypt quest, made sure to switch between familiars for appropriate zones.
195-263: The Manor. Did a lot from unlocking it all the way to getting the ballroom key. I also set up guy made of bees.
264-278: Beach trips for dingy plans
End of Day 1

Day 2
279-316: Pirates area, ran non-combats to get the outfit and got 7 of the 8 useful insults for insurance before using the map and gained access to fcle. It took 2 tries as the first one had the one useful insult I did not have.
317-341: Level 9 quest and 31337 scroll
342: Got enchanted Bean
343-349: Daily Dungeon
350-377: Got giant castle map, ran non-combats.
378-396: Turned wheel twice to set up hole in the sky
397-427: Got outfit and enough ores for first part of Level 8 quest. Yes I did Level 9 and 10 quest before Level 8, I've always done it this way ever since Boris, especially since I didn't spend time just to level between those levels.
428-435: Got 6 goat cheese using the raindoh black box.
436-464: Pixel quest for the digital key. Used leftover pixels for 3 red pixel potions.
465-477: Did the hole in the sky for the key and the crossbow
478-484: hidden temple for nostril of the serpent
485-499: Had to spend adventures in the castle in the sky for moxie gaining, made sure to have wheel turned to moxie and tried to maximize non-combats.
500-511: Discovered Back Market
512-636: Level 11 quest, gained access to pyramid. Too lazy to keep track how many adventures was spent in each level 11 quest zone or even give details of it.
637-674: Inside the pyramid, defeated ed.
675-690: Started the War
End of Day 2

Day 3
691-694: sidquest, rockband flyers on bees
695-736: Junkyard then lighthouse, forgot to keep track of how many adventures between the 2 sidezones. Used black box for the frogs.
737-814: Did the war, then the organic orchard sidequest, then the war again.
815: Defeated the boss
816-823: Daily dungeon
824-840: Had to level up to level 13
841-881: Finished up the level 13 quest. I was too lazy to check the level 13 stock list before I started my run, I assumed I had enough of them or that a good most would be good enough, if I wasn't so lazy, I could have pulled the handsome potion and saved 15 adventures. And I knew I would be pulling a lot of Level 13 quest items.
End of Day 3

Pulls
Day 1
1. LL Necktie
2. JuJu Mask
3. Can of Raindoh
4. Mr. A Jr.
5. Boris Helmet
6. Corpse item for nightcap
7. Milk of Mag
8. Operation Patriot Shield
9. Spice Melanage
10-15: 4 pumpkin Pies, 1 Moon Pie and lunchbox
16-18: 3 wrecked genarators
19: Mayflower Bouquet
20: Vampire Fangs

Day 2
1-3: Wrecked Generator
4: Metallic Radar Dish
5: Fudge Bunny
6: Moon Pie
7: Pumpkin Pie
8: 688 Scroll
9: Drum Machine
10: Corpse drink
11: Star Hat
12: Wand of Nagamar
13: Milk of Mag
14-16: Frat Warrior outfit
17: Ring of conflict
18: Salad fork to take with my fudge bunny
19: Bee Polleen
20: Spice Melange
I got the rest of my spleen items on day 2 using the stomping boots, though I don't remember where I stomped and forgot to right it down.

Day 3
1-2: Wrecked Generator and Green Eggnog
3: Cyclops eyedrops
4-7: 2 Milks of Mag, fudge bunny and spectral pickle
8-9: 2 Large boxes
10-11: NS combat items
12: Plexiglass Pith Helmet
13: Plexiglass Pants
DoubleGold
Porcine Page
Porcine Page

Re: Doublegolds contest run DB

Postby DoubleGold » Mon May 28, 2012 5:53 am

Oh, I forgot about rule number 6, but comments are allowed. I made sure to make a new post rather than edit, so people would see this.
Though, I was vague with my run description and my turns and what I did, I wouldn't be surprised if people couldn't comment.
DoubleGold
Porcine Page
Porcine Page

Postby FoodReef » Mon May 28, 2012 6:42 am

I know very little about softcore strategy but I thought I'd just post for the obligatory:

You wouldn't need to eat all of those fudge bunnies and stuff if you pulled and ate key lime pies instead. Sure, it may feel good to chow down on all that lovely epic food and get a bunch of turns to play but if you ate KLPs you'll end up spending less meat on your runs and your turncount will be lower for it.
FoodReef
Porcine Page
Porcine Page

Postby blisterguy » Mon May 28, 2012 2:47 pm

I agree completely with Foodreef about your consumption pulls. You shouldn't need them.

Additionally, why did you pull a 668 Scroll? You should get the ASCII Art semirare to have all of your scroll part needs in one easy adventure.

Pulling all 3 parts of the Frat Warrior outfit is unnecessary. Pull an Unbearable Light and use it on a Hippy once you have access to the Island, then when you're starting the war, pull a second Unbearable Light and use it on a Frat Warrior. That's one less pull, at least. Also, get yourself a Tome of Clip Art. This would also give you your familiar equipment, too, but I would suggest just getting a better stat familiar than the Crimbo Pressie.

Why did you pull a Mayflower Bouquet? At the very least, that could have been the Ring of Conflict you pulled day two, which is much better on day one.

edit: additionally, I seem to remember you saying you didn't use fortune cookies because they're too low turngen. I'm going to be blunt here, I get why you're trying to generate a bunch of turns, it's because you've heard that that's how you reach day count goals. Unfortunately, you're not at the point where you can get down to a 2-dayer, you're carrying too many bad habits with you. Practice working on a low turn count 3 dayer, and once you have more SC toys, and a better understanding of the speed game, then try for a 2 dayer.

editedit: also, if you're prepared to spend meat on Spice Melange, then you definitely can and should spend meat on NPZR Chemistry Kits.
Random avatar
blisterguy
Hog Grunt
Hog Grunt

Postby DoubleGold » Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks some questions.

1. How do I make a day 3 run in no path without pulling high adventures, I have a hard time balancing turncount and turngen so I focus on turngen to make sure I get 3 days.
2. I wasn't going for a 2 day, because I wasn't in Boris. Reason I can do Boris SC better than no path is because I know how to fill 25 to 30 fullness and 4 drunkeness better than I know how to fill 15 fullness and 14 to 19 drunkeness. Also, it seems much easier to level in Boris.
3. I have tome of clip art, but I don't know what things are worth summing and which ones aren't. I forgot to mention, most of my summons where sugar sheets.
4. How many key lime pies should I consume for normal vs boris. After all, in boris you need less star items, which means you may eat one less star key lime pie.
5. How do I plan a semi-rare? I understand fortune cookies show you, but it seems kinda hard to plan it well, especially since you may have other quests to do and especially since it gives 1 of 3 choices.
6. What stat familiar would you suggest other than a crimbo pressie? After all, it starts out as a volleyball and then when I get to later levels I can transform it into a full weight sombrero.
7. Given my skill list, are there any really important skills I'm missing.
DoubleGold
Porcine Page
Porcine Page

Postby blisterguy » Mon May 28, 2012 8:48 pm

DoubleGold wrote:Thanks some questions.

1. How do I make a day 3 run in no path without pulling high adventures, I have a hard time balancing turncount and turngen so I focus on turngen to make sure I get 3 days.

This is a much more complicated question than it sounds. The first thing to do would be to log your run using mafia, and the compare the number of turns (under "Quest turns" near the end of the log) you spend in any given zone to the number of turns spent by someone who is doing a fast run. For instance, Snaelda's log here or Jireh18's run here. From this you can determine which zones you need to speed up in, and from there, you can figure out how to speed up each zone.

The other thing that speeds up your run is how quickly you gain stats. This is accomplished this by running +ML, and having a combat suite that allows you to auto-hit and kill the monster before they kill you.
DoubleGold wrote:2. I wasn't going for a 2 day, because I wasn't in Boris. Reason I can do Boris SC better than no path is because I know how to fill 25 to 30 fullness and 4 drunkeness better than I know how to fill 15 fullness and 14 to 19 drunkeness. Also, it seems much easier to level in Boris.

This problem here is you're thinking about how many adventures you can generate, and not how many adventures you can save. If you try to save adventures doing the quests, your day count will come down.
DoubleGold wrote:3. I have tome of clip art, but I don't know what things are worth summing and which ones aren't. I forgot to mention, most of my summons where sugar sheets.

Okay, Sugar Sheets were great once, but you're already pulling a +5 Familiar Weight item (Mayflower) so they're giving you at best, another +5 weight on top of that, and for a limited number of turns. Great things you can summon with clip art:
  • Box of Familiar Jacks - Familiar equipment, if you need it, which you probably don't.
  • Bucket of Wine - a great nightcap with Ode to Booze.
  • Ultrafondue - excellent +ML food.
  • Unbearable Light - a Yellow Ray. This is probably your best summon by a long shot, and will save you turns and pulls.
  • Crystal Skull - a reasonable Banish. As you don't have Olfaction, this can help you in zones like the Goatlet, and the Defiled Niche.
  • Borrowed Time - +20 adventures on the last day of your run.
DoubleGold wrote:4. How many key lime pies should I consume for normal vs boris. After all, in boris you need less star items, which means you may eat one less star key lime pie.

You need just as many Star Pies in Boris as you do in No Path. The point is to avoid even opening the Hole in the Sky (so only having to turn the wheel in the Castle once, and not having to farm the items required). It should take you 3 Star Pies to get enough for the Key. You then pull a Star Weapon, a Star Hat, and a Star Chart.

I plan to eat 6 Key Pies in a fast 2 day run. 3 Star, and one of each of the Heroes. If you're not pulling an 8-Bit Power Magazine, then you can skip a Hero pie or two (and Daily Dungeon instead) and eat 3 Digital Pies, farming the last few pixels you might need for the Digital Key.
DoubleGold wrote:5. How do I plan a semi-rare? I understand fortune cookies show you, but it seems kinda hard to plan it well, especially since you may have other quests to do and especially since it gives 1 of 3 choices.

Your first semirare appears between turns 70 and 80 (or 71 and 81, I can't remember). After that, it's 160 to 200 turns after the last one. When you eat your first Fortune Cookie, only one or two of the numbers are going to fall in that range. Even if all 3 numbers are within the range, which can happen, you have still narrowed it down to 3 turns out of 40. Usually, though, as long as you're tracking when your last semirare was, there will only be one number that it could be.

If you don't use mafia, then use the new /timer command to manage your semirares. Before I used mafia, I would determine my first semirare, then set a timer to mark it. As as I hit that semirare, I would set 2 timers, one for 160 turns away, and the other for 200 turns away. That would give me the range for my next semirare. Once I was ready to eat my next Fortune Cookie, this would tell me the range the correct number would fall within. Once I knew the number(s), I could shrug the range markers and set timers for the turns I wanted. (note: I think you still you need to spend an adventure after your semirare to 'set your counter' otherwise the cookie will give 3 random numbers. This isn't a huge problem, though, just wait until you're ready to eat again later).

As to what semirares to get, conventional wisdom is to get the Knob Goblin Elite first, as you'll need this for access to the Dispensary anyway (for Seltzers for MP, and +item and +weight buffs). In some paths we don't do this, but that's only when you can't equip the KGE outfit, such as Boris or Way of the Surprising Fist. After that, there's Cyclops Eyedrops (Limerick Dungeon) for +100% item drops to help with the Filthworms, Inhaler (Giants Castle) for +200% meat to help with the Nuns, ASCII Art (Valley) for all of the scroll parts you need to complete the quest), and Baa'baa'bu'ran (Hidden Temple) for 2-3 Stone Wool, which is all you need to complete that quest. After that, there are a few turn gen semirares in the Alley, Pantry, and Outskirts, but those are generally only taken in HC.
DoubleGold wrote:6. What stat familiar would you suggest other than a crimbo pressie? After all, it starts out as a volleyball and then when I get to later levels I can transform it into a full weight sombrero.

Of the familiars you have, Tickle-Me Emilio seems like he'd be pretty good. The Pressie isn't terrible, but you don't need to pull the equipment for it, and from what I can tell (I've never used the Pressie) Emilio would be better. If you had meat spare, many people use the Baby Bugged Bugbear (+20ML), but that's only if you can handle the +ML. The Mini Hipster is also very good for stats, even if it doesn't look like it.
DoubleGold wrote:7. Given my skill list, are there any really important skills I'm missing.

Olfaction (which you're probably aware of)
Slimy Shoulders (+20 init for the Defiled Alcove)
Slimy Sinews (+20 MP)
Slimy Synapses (+20 MP)
Springy Fusilli (+40 init)
The Polka of Plenty (+Meat for the Nuns, not crucial)
Fat Leon's Phat Loot Lyric (holy shit, get this)
Empathy of the Newt (+familiar weight)
Shieldbutt (you have the OP Shield, this is an autohit way of killing +ML monsters)
Cannelloni Cocoon (best healing)
Musk of the Moose (+combat, important at Sonofa Beach)
Carlweather's Cantata of Confrontation (see Musk)
Ur-Kel's Aria of Annoyance (+ML for reducing turns spent power levelling)
Inigo's Incantation of Inspiration (more important in HC, but it can save you turns crafting food/booze, which is better than pulling it. It also saves you time crafting Milk of Magnesium, which you probably will want to craft in run.)

The most important ones of these, to me, are Phat Loot, Shieldbutt, and Ur-Kel's, followed by Musk and Cantata.

I've taken a closer look at your log, and made the following observations:

Liver: This is something you can consider cutting. It's not turn saving. Pick it up again if you're trying to hit turn count in HC, or something, but in 2-3 day SC, it's probably not increasing your turngen more than the turns you're spending getting it.

Guy made of bees: you don't need to do this. If you save the level 11 bosses, the Pyramid, Ed, Filthworms, Gremlins, and Beach are probably enough to get the flyering quest done. If you're not running enough +ML, then you might also want to save one of the level 11 quest zones as well (Hidden City, perhaps). It's not like power levelling to level 11 to do this is going to leave you over levelled while doing the war, it'll just mean you'll have less power levelling to do to get from 12 to 13. Setting up the GMoB is a lot of turns wasted.

24 turns on level 9 quest: If you get the ASCII Art semirare, and then Fax the Adding Machine, you can clear this quest in 2 turns. If you want a 31337 scroll as well, putty the ASCII Art for an extra scroll set. You might need to be running +ML for the Adding Machine to survive a second lot of scrolls, but if you're not comfortable with that, you could Putty the Adding Machine, too.

Puttying in the Goatlet: there are many better uses for your Putty. You can Banish in the Goatlet and have it done in almost as much time. Save your Putties for Modern Zmobies, Ghoul Whelp Swarms, ASCII Arts/Adding Machines, Lobsterfrogmen, or a Gaudy Pirate. Admittedly, if you're aiming for a 3 day run, you have so many Putty uses it's not funny, so you could Putty the Goatlet, but it's one to look at cutting.

Gaining Moxie in the Castle: this is a tough one. Running +ML should help this, but most people agree that farming Dance Cards in the Ballroom is the best way to level your moxie, I assume that's true even without Olfaction. You could summon a Crystal Skull here and spend 20 turns trying to gather as many Dance Cards as you can, which would probably give you most of the power levelling you'd need.

Wet Stew: I didn't see a Wet Stew pull! Pulling this allows you to skip Whitey's Grove entirely. Once the Stunt Nuts drop (or you pull them) cook the Wet Stunt Nuts Stew, and head to Mr. Alarm. He'll give you the Mega Gem first try, rather than having to speak to him twice.

Brickos/Party Favours: are you summoning these? The Brickos are great stats (the combats don't take turns) and the Party Favours could give you a great Banisher (you can get up to 3 rare summons a day, so stop trying to summon them each day once you have 2-3 Poppers, Champagne Flutes, or Crackers).

Outfits: I know I mentioned earlier that you shouldn't have pulled the Frat Warrior outfit, but that's not to say there aren't some outfit pieces you can pull. You can use an Unbearable Light on a Miner, a Hippy, a Frat Warrior, and even a Beanbat, but you can't get a Pirate that way. You mentioned you farmed the Pirate Outfit by boosting non-combats, which is good, but did you consider pulling the last outfit piece you needed once you had the first two? This can save a few turns running into those terrible stat noncombats, or even worse, the one that's offering the two pieces you already have.

Phew, this is a lot, but I hope it helps!
Random avatar
blisterguy
Hog Grunt
Hog Grunt

Return to Ascension Records