3 Day softcore zombie run guide

Public gameplay guides and discussions

3 Day softcore zombie run guide

Postby salticid » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 am

Introduction
The point of this guide is to give you some reminders and suggestions for doing a softcore zombie run by hand in 3 days. It assumes you don't have any zombie skills yet, but that you have access to good IotMs. The cost of these runs should be very, very cheap.

Starting an ascension
Remember to stock up on:
- tower items
- mojo filters
- milk of magnesium
- spleen items (goose grease + prismatic wads)
- meat maid
- boris ring / Sneaky Pete's breath Spray
Plant peppermints
Settings:
- carton of astral energy drinks
- astral mask
- platypus

Zombie skills
Without going into a ton of details, go hunger first, the master, then anger.

Combat
I have the following macro set up that will kill all the easy monsters up until the ballroom and castle. I still use the macro in these places, but follow up with infectious bite, rain-doh blue orange agents, or ravenous ounce to finish off opponents (depending on how much HP they have left). The rain-doh indigo cup can also be used in a pinch.

use rain-doh blue balls
skill throw shield
skill infectious bite
attack
scrollwhendone

Familiars
You really only have have two: the gnome for items and one of the volleys for stats. Until you have +10 lbs on your sombrero, the volleyball beats it for the entire run. Once you have access to the +5 lb skill, You will want to switch to the switch to the sombrero when fighting monsters of 120 ML and higher (Ballroom, Gallery, Airship, and above).

What is I don't have these fancy IotMs?
can of Rain-Doh - pretty damn helpful and hard to substitute because of the monster copies and blocking
Loathing Legion knife - a really good pull, but it could be replaced with a CARNIVORE button or SS scarf
Operation Patriot Shield - I would probably switch to all zombie combat skills if I didn't have a OP shield; maybe replace with pilgrim shield
Juju Mojo Mask - replace with a CARNIVORE button or SS scarf
Boris's Helm - not a big deal if you don't have; replace with Spooky Putty mitre or ice pick if possible
Stinky cheese diaper - not a big deal if you don't have; just use GAP pants if possible
little box of fireworks - could be replaced with pumpkin bucket or wax lips
plastic vampire fangs - not a big deal if you don't have
Camp Scout backpack- not a big deal if you don't have

You might also consider a Mr. Accessory Jr., Jekyllin hide belt, and stainless steel scarf as cheap, but useful pulls.

Day 1
- set ML dial to 11
- get 3 peppermint sprouts and get 3 twists
- visit council, visit toot, read letter
- get gnomish housemaid's kgnee
- get hunger skills
- get clover from hermit

/pull can of Rain-Doh && /use can of Rain-Doh && /pull Meat maid && /use Meat maid
/pull mojo filter && /pull milk of magnesium && /pull corpsedriver && /pull 4 groose grease
/pull Boris's Helm && /pull ice sickle && /pull Operation Patriot Shield && /pull stinky cheese diaper
/pull ring of conflict && /pull Greatest American Pants && /pull Juju Mojo Mask && /pull Loathing Legion necktie
/pull plastic vampire fangs && /pull little box of fireworks && /pull Camp Scout backpack

- twist your horns
- eat hunter brains as you find them, but hold off on the boss brains for now

Outskirts of The Knob
Spooky Forest - just get larva for now
Typical Tavern Quest - use swimming pool buff for +ML; kill Ratsworth
Haunted Pantry
Haunted Billiards Room

At this point you should be almost level 6. Get a cocktailcrafting kit and make some peppermint booze with the bottles from the tavern. Take a warm shower. Drink your booze and fill your spleen with 4 grease. Now you should be level 6.

Haunted Library - use Super Vision. Take the fall choice if it shows up first, otherwise open the upstairs.
Knob Goblin Barracks - get the KGE semi-rare; use the RoC. If the nc shows up, skip it and adventure somewhere else for 1 turn because you know that is not going to be your semi-rare.
Dark Elbow of the Woods - spend 5 turns without the RoC
Dark Heart of the Woods - spend 5 turns without the RoC
Dark Neck of the Woods - spend 5 turns without the RoC
Vamp out
Haunted Ballroom - use telescope buff (you might also need to use the vampire fangs or GAP to have enough stats)
Haunted Bedroom - turn ballroom song to noncombats

Dark Elbow of the Woods - use RoC
Dark Heart of the Woods - use RoC
Dark Neck of the Woods - use RoC

Drain your pants of Super Vision and use the pool buff for +itemsx2
The Laugh Floor - get as many good brains as you can before running out of turns.

At this point you should use your milk and eat 10 of the best brains you have. Hopefully you have Neurogourmet. Yes, you could have killed the boss bat and goblin king earlier, but you have more important things to do right now.

Infernal Rackets Backstage - get stomach of steel
Defiled Alcove - use pool buff for +init; try for dead guy's watch
Fax ghost and use black ob to copyx5
Defiled Niche - a good place to use stinkeye

You will have turns banked. Don't worry too much about them now.

End of the day reminders:
- did you max your stinky cheese?
- did you equip your stinky cheese diaper, loathing moondial, and dead guy's watch?
- did you eat, drink, and spleen until full?
- did you take a warm shower?
- did you vamp out?
- did you use the fax machine and black box copies?
- did you use stinkeye?
- did you use all your GAP runaways?
- did you get drunk for the night

Day 2
- get clover from hermit
- check the daily bounties
- check the trapper and pull the 3 ore that you need
- check your tower items and if don't need a sonar-in-a-biscuit, pull one

/pull bucket of wine && /pull groose grease && /pull prismatic wad && /pull milk of magnesium
/pull The Big Book of Pirate Insults && /pull blue shell && /pull frilly skirt
/pull ninja carabiner && /pull ninja crampons && /pull ninja rope && /pull Spooky-Gro fertilizer
/pull 668 scroll && /pull 64067 scroll && /pull Boris's ring && /pull Space Trip safety headphones
If you are scared about turns you can probably pull another milk instead of the fertilizer, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Kitchens - get oven and bake cake
King's Chamber
Guano Junction - use loathing pizza stone for stench resist and 1-2 clovers depending on tower
Beanbat Chamber - use loathing pizza stone again, switch to +item gear, use Super Vision
Boss Bat's Lair
Buy a desert bus pass and take 1 shore trip
Make peppermint booze.
Swim laps and take a warm shower.
Do strange leaflet, drink peppermint booze, use groose grease and prismatic wad.
Defiled Niche - use blue shell in combat when your health is greater than the monsters and you should end up with all 30 white pixels for a key; use 1 black box copy
Defiled Cranny - use peppermint twistx2; make 2 black box copies of swarms and use them
Defiled Alcove - equip red wings and use +init pool buff
Defiled Nook - use super vision
Goatlet - with super vision still running + burrito blessing; use black box to copy 2 dairy goats
Haert of the Cyrpt - toss shield and one hit should kill him
Use milk and eat your best brains (nothing worse than "good")
Vamp out before your +muscle stats buff is gone
Take your other 4 shore trips (picking your tower item up first)
Pirate Cove - get insults while farming the outfit
Barrrney's Barrr - get the last of your insults (7)
Cap'm Caronch's Map
Barrrney's Barrr for blueprints
Orcish Frathouse Blueprints - equip frilly skirt
Barrrney's Barrr - open the F'c'le
Buy abridged dictionary and untinker it with Loathing screwdriver
Fax adding machine and use to compete quest.
Fantasy Airship - use RoC and headphones; don't worry about +items (2 sge's is all you really need)
Greater-Than Sign - open DoD; use sge to shrug teleportisis
Dungeons of Doom - find that mimic so that you have a wand; zap your Boris's ring into a key
Equip your GAP pants and get "super structure"
Mist-shrouded Peak - Groar will need an extra ravenous pounce to be killed; visit the trapper
Giant's Castle - turn the wheel twice, you can pull the last item you need to open the HitS if it has not dropped
F'c'le - use rest of your pool buff
Hole in the Sky - all you need is enough to make the key, if you get all your stars and lines but no star chart, just pull it tomorrow
Haunted Conservatory - use GAP runaways
Haunted Gallery - use all the clovers you have; get to level 11
Use astral energy drink
Black Forest
Buy can of black paint & forged identification documents
Shore Trip for MacGuffin diary

At this point you are basically done for the day. You should check hangks to make sure you do not have any extra pulls. Eat to fullness with good brains. Drink your nightcap and you are done. If you want to go on ahead to day 3, be my guest, but know that some parts rely on pulls that you have not made yet. Double check all the day 1 reminders.

Day 3
- get clover from hermit
- check the daily bounties

/pull wet stew && /pull beer helmet && /pull distressed denim pants && /pull bejeweled pledge pin
/pull 2 stone wool && /pull star crossbow && /pull star hat && /pull milk of magnesium
/pull borrowed time && /use astral energy drink && /pull unbearable light

- use borrowed time
Desert (Unhydrated)
Spooky Forest - an easy place to blow off negative effects and test your duplicate !potions in combat
Hidden Temple - use 2 stone wool
Desert (Ultrahydrated) & Oasis in the Desert - use 1 clover, runaways, and stinkeye, pull a drum machine & mojo filter if they don't drop; this is a good spot to use Smash & Graaagh & Super Vision
Poop Deck - use RoC and headphones
Belowdecks - use black box on gaudy pirate; if you see the gungy pirate, use Smash & Graaagh on him
Palindome - use unbearable light on Bob Racecar; cook stew
Knob Goblin Laboratory
Haunted Ballroom - don't turn off song if it shows up
Haunted Wine Cellar - use smothers blessing & super vision; you can pull a dusty bottle if you are missing one
Hidden City - Rain-Doh red wings are helpful for +damage against spirits
take out 3 sub-bosses; headphones and Super Structure help quite a bit for Spookyraven
Pyramid - use tangles if you have them, otherwise just run noncombats in the middle chamber
mix 2 peppermint drinks
take warm shower
drink peppermint drinks
Ed the Undying - shouldn't be too hard
Vamp out
Gallery - hit level 12
Wartime Hippy Camp - use RoC and headphones
Visit arena for flyers
Swim Laps, use peppermint twist
Fax Lobsterfrogman and copy 4 more
Filthworms - use Smash & Graaagh
Dooks - use chaos butterfly
Junkyard - scope buff, +HP buff from hatter, and super structure help
Battlefield (Frat Uniform)
don't forget to trade quarters for gauze garters

You should have a good number of pulls for tower items. You will need to use gum to get an accordion. Use your SP/Boris/J key, zap for another key, and zap again for a 50% chance of getting the 3rd key. You can keep zapping as long as the wand doesn't blow. If the wand blows and you still need the 3rd key, do the daily dungeon. If you have an extra pull, you could get another Boris's ring, zap that, and your second zap of the day will 100% be the 3rd key.

The N.S. is a pain to kill until you have the meatshield skill, at which point she becomes pretty easy.
salticid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3 Day softcore zombie runs

Postby mstieler » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:04 pm

A few questions/statements:

Meat Maid vs. Clockwork Maid? I'm guessing if 3-day is readily obtainable with Meat Maid there's no reason to go Clockwork, but I'd just like to verify.

Guessing you could replace Solid Gold Bowling Ball with Really Dense Meat Stack or Facsimile dictionary, just something big to autosell.

Corpsedriver vs. Bucket of Wine: Due to lack of Ode, wouldn't a Corpse drink win out for turngen?

Weapon: For those without a Sickle, would a Haiku Katana, Blammer or Dreadlock Whip work? I'm thinkig Katana for + muscle & +weapon damage (unless Zombie skills aren't considered weapon attacks), Blammer for the crit, or Dreadlock Whip as the poor man's Ice Sickle

LBoF: Replacable with Hookah, LL Helicopter (when you're not using it otherwise), Mayflower Bouquet, Moveable Feast, or Pumpkin Bucket work? Also, does "Fire off a Roman Candle" work without MP? I'm guessing not, but you never know.
mstieler
Hog Warrior
Hog Warrior

Postby JewDude2 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm curious about why the platypus sign?

P.S. thank you for makingm e aware that "scrollwhendone" exists in macros.
JewDude2
Hog Warrior
Hog Warrior

Postby charred » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:36 pm

ive seen other people talking about the blammer. i understand its for the crit, but ive been basically one shotting everything with throwing the shield and attacking. that already gives you a guaranteed crit. ive been pulling the brim bludgeon, and using the astral mace for the beginning, was gonna try not even pulling the brimstone next run.
charred
Hog Grunt
Hog Grunt

Postby mstieler » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:16 pm

JewDude2 wrote:I'm curious about why the platypus sign?

I'm going to wager a guess that it's due to the vendors at the Gnomads & Gnoll not being available and that Platypus is both a Muscle sign and +5 familiar weight, which seems like it would help a bit.

Edit: Also, suggestion for Day 2: Pick up the Coal Miner's Lung for the Gnome so you have a Potatofairy.
mstieler
Hog Warrior
Hog Warrior

Postby salticid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:53 am

mstieler wrote:Meat Maid vs. Clockwork Maid?

Cheaper and turngen shouldn't be much of a barrier. I could perhaps see pulling a 2nd milk on day 1 instead the maid, but it might be tough to get all 10 turns out of it unless you save hunter brains.

mstieler wrote:Guessing you could replace Solid Gold Bowling Ball with Really Dense Meat Stack or Facsimile dictionary, just something big to autosell.

Yes, though the dictionaries are harder to get and more expensive. The more I think about it, the more I think it is smarter to just wait until you have the 5000 meat and not waste a pull. I think I will edit this one out for something better.

mstieler wrote:Corpsedriver vs. Bucket of Wine: Due to lack of Ode, wouldn't a Corpse drink win out for turngen?

Yes, or a TPS drink if you have one. I just wrote in what I did this time, but there are alternatives that should also work as well. I will go back through and add the alternatives when I am done. Again, I think the few extra turns is not going to make much of a difference even with bad RNG.

mstieler wrote:Weapon: For those without a Sickle, would a Haiku Katana, Blammer or Dreadlock Whip work? I'm thinkig Katana for + muscle & +weapon damage (unless Zombie skills aren't considered weapon attacks), Blammer for the crit, or Dreadlock Whip as the poor man's Ice Sickle

Well, the main thing you want out of your weapon is +stats and of the things you mentioned, only the whip will help with that. I would actually say a SS scarf is a better cheap replacement for the sickle and just use whatever weapon (though accessory slots are not as easy to come by). As charred says, combat is zombie is really easy for softcore, so I don't think having a fancy weapon is going to matter.

mstieler wrote:LBoF: Replacable with Hookah, LL Helicopter (when you're not using it otherwise), Mayflower Bouquet, Moveable Feast, or Pumpkin Bucket work? Also, does "Fire off a Roman Candle" work without MP? I'm guessing not, but you never know.

Hookah is weird and not optimal, but admittedly fun. Helicopter is useless unless you are using your NPZR, which you don't need to use. Wax lips or Pumpkin Bucket make sense as good alternatives. Feast and bouquet are pretty crappy by comparison.

JewDude2 wrote:I'm curious about why the platypus sign?

Mongoose: +damage (nice, but not needed), must pay for MCD that goes only to 10 (not a big a deal), saves 0-1 pulls because you buy the bus pass, plunger and innabox don't work
Wombat: +meat (nice, but not needed), must open area right away for MCD (annoying and costs a pull), shops are closed so no bonus there
Platypus: +5 lbs (really helpful for both +stats and +items), all shops are closed
salticid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kain » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 am

Also, you're specifying 21 pulls on day 1 ... edit -- nevermind, apparently I need to go back to kindergarten

I made it to L8, alcove done before I ran out of turns. I also inadvertently ate to 16 before getting the steel lasagna so I'll have to eat that tomorrow.

I only came into the run with 2 zombie points, though, next run should be a lot better.
Last edited by kain on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random avatar
kain
Hog Master
Hog Master

Postby VinnyB » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am

salticid wrote:Combat
use rain-doh blue balls
skill throw shield
skill infectious bite
attack
scrollwhendone
Wouldn't it be better to bite and then throw? You get a little extra damage in that way
Random avatar
VinnyB
Hotdog
Hotdog

Postby salticid » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 pm

You assume I have the fangs equipped, which I almost never do. The fangs are useful as a super-clover and perhaps to get to the ballroom earlier, but are otherwise not used.
salticid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mstieler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 pm

salticid wrote:You assume I have the fangs equipped, which I almost never do. The fangs are useful as a super-clover and perhaps to get to the ballroom earlier, but are otherwise not used.

I think he Means Infectious Bite. After you hit them with it once, it causes recurring damage (at least that what I was seeing, that may have been due to Plague claws).

For example:
Round 1: Rain Doh
Round 2: Infectious Bite, delevel, 8 damage
Round 3: Throw Shield, 8 damage from IB
Round 4, Attack, Crit, 8 damage from IB

As opposed to
Round 1: Rain Doh
Round 2: Throw Shield
Round 3: Infectious Bite, delevel, 8 damage
Round 4, Attack, Crit, 8 damage from IB

Also, I wandered a bit from your guide, and picked up Plague Claws first, then I'm going up Hunger, then Master as points roll in. It makes for a really enjoyable experience when you Rain-doh, IB, the PC til dead. I've got a nice phat hoard of horde (including but not limited to probably 2/3 of my hunters, ghosts, liches, and a gargantulihc :D). If I need to kill something right goddamned now, yeah, TS & Attack kills stuff dead, but seeing that horde grow is too cool.
mstieler
Hog Warrior
Hog Warrior

Postby Hadean » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 am

salticid wrote:Mongoose: +damage (nice, but not needed), must pay for MCD that goes only to 10 (not a big a deal), saves 0-1 pulls because you buy the bus pass, plunger and innabox don't work

It also saves the turns looking for screwdriver, if you don't have a LLK like me.

Also, why do you need stomach on a 3-day run with maxed hunger? Even in my first run I got to the NS with like 80 turns to spare.
Hadean
Porcine Page
Porcine Page

Postby salticid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 am

Hadean wrote:why do you need stomach on a 3-day run with maxed hunger?

The short answer is that I am trying to make the guide foolproof. I failed 3 day runs twice (shows how much I know about softcore). This is not a guide for someone trying to be optimal or get a low turncount. There are many ways that you can diverge from the guide because you want to do something you think will be more fun or because you lack access to certain equipment or because you screw up.

Once 2 day runs become a thing, I will work on an optimal guide. Until then, this should help though who just want to get skills quickly.
salticid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby blisterguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Thank you for posting this! I too, have questions.
salticid wrote:Defiled Niche - use blue shell in combat when your health is greater than the monsters and you should end up with all 30 white pixels for a key.

I've never tried a Blue Shell before, are you saying it will keep bouncing off you in that combat and give you all of the pixels you need?
salticid wrote:Dooks - use chaos butterfly

I might be misunderstanding this, but if you're doing the War as a Frat, and you've done 4 other side quests (Arena, Junkyard, Beach, and Orchard) by the time you can access the Farm, you only have 34 turns left on the battlefield. Doing the Farm saves you 17 turns, but takes you 25 to do, even with the Chaos Butterfly trick.
Random avatar
blisterguy
Hog Grunt
Hog Grunt

Postby mstieler » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Is there a reason for pulling the Big Book of Pirate Insults, since it's a pretty cheap item?
mstieler
Hog Warrior
Hog Warrior

Postby salticid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:20 pm

The blue shell is pretty neat, but not THAT amazing. It attacks the one with the higher HP, so you want to have higher HP than the monster you are fighting. If this is the case, you will get 1-3 white pixels. It might just be luck, but I always seem to get 2-3. Faxing the ghost, I seem to have 1-3 white pixels left and unless it is just one pixel, pulling the shell is a better deal (and the 8-bit Realm just sucks).

As far as the dooks...yeah, the only reason I suggest it is because flyering is a bitch otherwise. I seem to hit 100% at the just before my last dook, so I figure it pays off even though it is not strictly optimal. You could pull agua, but the turn cost would be only slightly better. 3 more runs and I will have the +30 ML skill at level 12...at which point I will skip dooks.

Pirate book...Yes, you can get insults while farming the pirate outfit, which saves a ton of turns. You basically skip the Barrr entirely.

With 3 skills to start, I managed to finish a 3 day run with 110 turns to spare using this strategy. That means pulling all this milk of magnesium is probably a waste, but there are also not many pulls that will save you a ton more turns. The KGE is the first thing I ca think of skipping (just pull the harem outfit instead), but there are certainly more. A few more runs and maybe I can start thinking about how to do a more expensive, but more optimal 2 day run.
salticid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Tome of Destiny